Securing your kayak in your truck bed
It can be difficult to transport a kayak in your truck bed. Pickup trucks do not have roof bars like SUVs or cars, so most owners must transport their kayak in their truck’s bed. How do you transport your kayak?
Keep reading to learn the best way to transport a kayak in a pickup truck, from the experts at ArmorThane.
MAINTAIN THAT YOUR KAYAK IS OUT OF ACCESS
A pickup with the tailgate down is the best way to transport a kayak. The majority of kayaks will not fit in a pickup bed with the tailgate up.
Transporting your kayak is simple if you have an 8-foot bed and it fits in your kayak. If not, you can safely transport your kayak using the tips below.
- Once the TAILGATE is down, slide the KAYAK in BOW FIRST.
- YOUR KAYAK SHOULD HAVE HARDWARE OR A GRAB HANDLE AT THE BOW AND STERN TO PICK UP AND TRANSPORT THE KAYAK. These ANCHOR POINTS WILL HELP YOU SECURE YOUR KAYAK IN THE TRUCK’S BODY WITH THE STRAPS.
- DRIVE A CAM STRAP THRU ANCHOR POINTS ON YOUR FLOOR OR BEDRAILS OF THE TRUCK BED, AND THEN THROUGH AN OPEN BOW OF KAYAK. KEEP THE KAYAK OUT OF SEPARATION.
- RATCHET STRAPS CAN APPLY TOO MANY PRESSURE TO THE KAYAK, and can cause damage. RATCHET STRAPS: BE WARNED HOW TENSION YOU USE.
- TO STERN THE KAYAK, DRIVE A CAM STRAP THRU THE ANCHOR POINTS IN BED OF TRUCK, THEN THRU THE GRAB HANDLE / MOUNTING POINT ON STERN. STRAP SHOULD MAKE a “V”
- If your KAYAK GETS MORE THAN FOUR FEET from your truck, you’ll need to secure RED FLAGGING TO IT in order to prevent someone else from hitting it.
KAYAK TRANSPORTATION OPTIONS
You have a kayak you need to transport, but don’t have enough space in your truck for it? These are other options for kayak transport:
ArmorThane truck bed liners are thick, skid-resistant polyurea sprayed coatings, ideal for preventing the kayak from skidding. This is a complete system for any truck. ArmorThane patented ArmorLiner technology providing a custom-fit, durable solution to secure cargo and provide complete protection without any need for drilling.
- A TONNEAU SYSTEM
A Tonneau System can be mounted above pickup truck beds. This system can be paired with a kayak roof to provide the best of both worlds: the convenience of a pickup truck bed, the security and ease of a tonneau, as well as the safety of a cover. The crossbar system allows you to mount roof baskets and bike racks above your pickup truck bed. It also keeps your bed free of clutter for gear hauling.
- KAYAK TRAILER
Kayak trailers can be very lightweight and affordable. It’s so subtle that you won’t even notice it’s there! It’s also easy to launch and load a kayak from a boat launch.
- KAYAK RACK
A bed topper or crossbars is the only way to mount a kayak rack to a pickup truck. Crossbars are mounted on top of the pickup’s bed or the cab. They allow you to mount your kayak rack and transport it just like an SUV.
Another option is the e-bike rack. It not only provides a safe mounting point for kayak racks, but it also protects your truck bed and keeps it dry.
FIND PICKUP TRUCK TOPPERS NEAR YOU
It’s great to transport your kayak in your truck bed for short trips. For local trips, it is great to transport your kayak in your truck bed. But for longer journeys, you will need enough space to store all your luggage and gear. The best way to secure your kayak on your truck is to use a kayak rack and truck topper. Talk to your local ArmorThane dealer about your pickup bedliner options.